THE ULTIMATE ACT OF SERVICE


Mark 9:35

He sat down, called the twelve disciples over to him, and said, “Whoever wants to be first must take last place and be the servant of everyone else.”

According to the world’s view, people who want to be great, who want to be first, or want to have more have a constant battle for that place of first, for that place of “greatness”, and a battle for more and more.  When they trust in themselves for all of that, it is a miserable life. However, Jesus told His disciples something totally different.  He said if you want to be first, let others go ahead of you.  If you want to be great, serve others, and esteem others more highly than yourself.  Greatness is not found at the front of the line, it is found at the back of the line.  Many people are so self-centered and feel that the world owes them everything.  I know that it must be a miserable place, one with no real happiness, peace, or joy when people are in a daily battle to have more and to get ahead.  It is such a better place to keep your eyes on God living by His principles.  When you leave the “rat race” of the world and truly trust God to promote you and trust Him for your every need, you can then live as Jesus told His disciples in Mark 9:35 and live to be a servant of all.    You should begin to look at all others as better than yourself. Mark 10:45 says,“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."  The one God of the Universe chose to come to this world and to be a servant, so what better reason to serve others than to model our lives after Him.  A pastor once said in a sermon that the basic problem in the world today is that men wish to do as little as possible to get as much as possible.  It is only when they are filled with the desire to put more into life than they take out of that life for themselves that they will be happy and prosperous.  I believe that it is only when you begin to live by the Kingdom principles and choose to serve others, to esteem others more highly than yourself, to let others go before you, that we will truly be happy.  By doing this we should put our full trust in God to promote us and take the pressure off of ourselves to have to fight for everything on our own.  The pastor also said, “the world says if you want to become great, become a star. God says if you want to become great, become a servant.  The world says if you want to become great, see how many people you can get to serve you. God says if you want to become great, see how many people you can serve.”  I know that by worldly views and standards all of this seems “upside down,” but I’ve lived both ways, and I tell you that by living by God’s principles and fully trusting Him and serving Him, it is a peace and joy beyond understanding.  Jesus performed the ultimate act of service by dying on the cross for sins that He didn’t even commit. Can’t we purpose to model after Him and serve others?

Lord Jesus, I love You.  Thank You that I do not have to try to promote myself.  Thank You that I don’t have to live as I once did in the rat race of worldly mindset trying to get more and more for myself.  Thank You, Lord, for helping me to always be servant minded, to always esteem anyone that I come in contact with as more highly than myself.  Thank You, Lord, that as I have witnessed Your faithfulness to Your word as I let others go ahead of me and as I trust in You to promote me as I serve others.  Thank You, dear Lord, for Your many blessings.  All I ask in Jesus’ most precious holy name.  Amen.  

Written by Donna Shea