I WILL PRAY


Psalms 61:1-2

O God, listen to my cry! Hear my prayer!

From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety.

I had a conversation with someone the other day who was going through a particularly hard year.  They spoke of issues within their marriage, health, and with their children.  They listed all of the things that they had done in all of the areas and said that none of it had worked.  They then said, "Now, I guess I will pray."  I just looked at them in utter confusion.  Would it not occur to people to stop and first before anything else to go to the creator of the entire Universe and ask for His assistance?  Do people not understand that they can go to Him just like a toddler who is hurting, uncomfortable, hungry, or scared can run to their earthly father and he will take care of their every need?  As much as an earthly father loves his child, our minds can not comprehend the fact that our Heavenly Father loves us so much more.  He wants to protect us, lead and guide us, meet our every need, but we must go to Him in prayer.  I am sure that He sometimes feels like an earthly father of a teenager or young adult who only goes to them when they need money or help getting out of trouble.  Just as that earthly father desires to spend quality time with the child, our Heavenly Father desires for His children to give Him time daily and not just when they need His help.  James 5:15 tells us that “the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.”  We can go to our Father anytime about anything and when we go in faith believing that He will attend to our need, He will never fail us.  He knows everything, He can see the future, and He will answer our prayer.  It may not be the answer that we were expecting, but when we go to Him in faith, many times we will be able to look back and see that it was the best thing for us.  Even if He didn’t give us the answer that we wanted, we will be able to see how He worked His answer in some way to bless us.  If we go to our Lord daily in prayer, seeking to bathe in His love and in His presence, He will lead us to the towering Rock of safety, and we can then rest in knowing that the One Who is in control of the Universe has our best interest at heart even when our heart grows faint. Lord, thank You for Your faithfulness. 

Lord, thank You that as I draw near to You daily that You draw near to me.  Thank You that as I pray to have more and more of You and less and less of me that You will help me to be more like You.  Forgive me where I have failed You, Lord, and may all good that is done through me always be to Your glory and Your praise.  May all always know that it’s only through You living through me that anything good could be done.  Help me to spend time with You daily, and help me to turn to You in faith.  Thank You for answering my every prayer according to Your will and purpose for my life.  All I ask in Jesus’ most precious holy name.  Amen.

Written by Donna Shea